5 Essential Tips To Get Over Your Ex — For Good
Breakups suck. This we know, but what’s worse is the roller coaster that comes afterwards. Breakup, get back together, fight, breakup, make-up, get back together, fight, breakup – it’s a vicious cycle. We are all left hanging in the balance between not wanting to be back in the relationship, but not wanting to be alone either. So how do you end the cycle and finally move on, leaving your ex eating dust? According to Rebecca Gladding, MD, author of You Are Not Your Brain,” if in the weeks following a breakup you conduct your behavior with certain goals in mind, getting over the guy doesn’t have to be the gut-wrenching experience that it has come to be. Follow these five easy tips and you too can be back in the single life saddle in no time.
1. Ignore Him: Ignore his calls, texts, emails, tweets, everything. The only reason he is trying to get a hold of you is because he is bored and most men know women will drop anything for them. Have some self control, and resist. Also, ignore the urge to call him, because we all know you are only calling him because you think you miss him, but in reality, you are calling him because it is convenient. Ladies, you are used to having Friday date night with your man, so when Friday rolls around, you think you miss him, but really you dont. Better alternative? Call up the girls and have a girls night out. Who knows, maybe you’ll find Mr. Right when you’re trying to get over Mr. Wrong.
2. Hide and Don’t Seek: It’s time to stash all those cards, stuffed animals, jewelry, etc that was given to you by your ex. Having all those things laying around is only going to remind you of all the good times you had together, which will cause you to forget about the bad, and remember, all the bad things is what prompted the break-up in the first place. “When you’ve just broken up, you’re still pretty vulnerable to that emotional tug,” Gladding explains in her book. “Getting rid of all those reminders can help get you over the initial hump.”
3. Don’t Be A Stalker: We’re all guilty of it — stalker-like behavior that we think no one’s aware of, but trust me, people know. No more driving by his house, checking his Facebook page every 15 minutes, and constantly checking in with his guy friends for the scoop. Forget his address, block his Facebook page, and let his guy friends go, this is the only way to get him off your mind.
4. Stay Connected: Stop closing your blinds, crying in bed, listening to Adele, and gorging chocolate ice cream. Dr. Gladding tells us, “momentary relief from snacking often comes at a steep price, in the form of gaining weight, higher cholesterol, high blood pressure and so on.” You need to get back on the wagon, so call your most social friend and go to a karaoke bar or comedy show to loosen up and get your mind off, wait, what’s his name?” Exactly, he isn’t even worth your thoughts. So ambush your closet, put on your sexiest heels and strut into bar like you own the place. Seeing all eyes on you will help you realize you’re better off without him.
5. Write It Out: Lastly, you need to write out three reasons why you are better off without your ex. It’s so easy for girls who are recently single to only remember the good from their past relationship. By writing out a list, it’s tangible and right in front of you. Physically seeing the reasons you weren’t right for each other is the most obvious way to move on. Read this list daily, or whenever you are thinking that you miss your ex and you want to get back together with him.
See ladies, simple enough right? Follow these simple steps and your ex will be part of your past and will not occupy your thoughts 24/7. Breakups are no fun, but now you are single and ready to mingle, so put yourself out there and who knows, maybe that cute guy at the bar will be your next main squeeze.